Thursday, March 5, 2009

History of Karl Lorenzo Probst - Part III

History written by Karl L. Probst in 1968:

"On my arrival home, the first thing I did was to go over to the Midway School in my soldier's uniform. While I was talking with the principal, Mr. Sorensen, in the eighth grade room, a young lady by the name of Miss Wright came in the room, and he introduced her to me, and that was the first time I met the girl who later became my wife. During the remainder of the winter, we had sleigh riding parties and programs, and I started to date Miss Wright. In early spring of 1919, we became engaged."


"That fall, I went to Oakley and taught school and was principal. I organized a band of about twenty Oakley boys. They progressed very rapidly, and it wasn't very long until we were playing on programs. Occasionally, during the winter on weekends, I would go to Midway to court Miss Wright and see my folks. Sometimes, I would go down riding horseback and sometimes I would go down with a very fancy trotter outfit that was loaned to me by Mr. Jensen."

"One time I came to Midway, and didn't know it but the town was quarantined for the Flu. The roads leading to Midway from Charleson and Heber were blockaded, but I came by way of the River Road and stopped at my girl's place before going home, and she told me the town was quarantined for the Flu, so I made my visits short that time, and sneaked out Sunday afternoon unknown to anyone and returned to Oakley."

"While in Oakley, I boarded with the Peter Frost family, and they made me very welcome, and I enjoyed that first winter very much in Oakley."

On June 23, 1920, Miss Wright and I were married in the Salt Lake Temple. That summer we lived with my folks in Midway, and then in the fall, we returned to Oakley where I taught school the second year there. We lived in an old log cabin down on the Weber River where our first child, Bernard, was born the following spring, April 1, 1921. The old log cabin is torn down now, and a nice residence occupies the spot."


"We enjoyed the winter very much, and in the spring there was an opening to teach school in Midway, my home town, so we decided to return. The people in Oakley offered more money for me to stay, but we didn't accept the offer."

"I taught school for twenty-two years in Midway, eight of which I served as principal, teaching several of my own children, and then was transferred to Wasatch High School in Heber City to teach English and Math in Junior High and some senior high subjects. I taught school for a total of forty years altogether. Lulu Clegg was superintendent during some of the time that I was teaching in the Wasatch High School. One day, she called me into her office and said she would like to have some art taught in the high school, there not being any at that time. "

"She said she thought I was the person who could do it, and she would give me all the help I needed to get started. She assigned me a small room, and the first year I had eleven students from different grades. The next year they had two periods of it, and I had thirty some odd students in each class. The third year, the room became too small, an they moved us down into the old Ag Room where we had five periods of art a day and about 100 students. Th Art Department kept growing until we had seven periods a day, including Junior High and Senior High. We did water colors, oils, handicraft and leather work. The Art Department is still functioning."


"I retired from teaching school for three years, after having spent thirty-five years in the schoolroom. Finally when they couldn't get an art teacher, they urged me to return, which I did for five years longer, making a total of forty years in the schoolroom. In the meantime, I went to the Brigham Young University and got my bachelor's degree in both art and music, graduating from there in August, 1956."

"During my years of teaching, I attended summer schools and took correspondence courses to keep qualified for teaching. The first year I taught for $45.00 per month, and the year I retired I was making $5,600.00 a year."

"The year I started teaching school, my brother Vern and I purchased the farm, upon our father's advice, of G.F. Buehler, for the sum of $5,800.00, fifty-eight acres at $100.00 per acre. For sever years, we had a difficult time to meet the payments and live. Times were difficult, and only by my teaching school and keeping up the payments were we able to holdon to the place and meet our obligations."

Karl and Cree Probst at the Snake Creek Orchard

"We were also involved in the cattle business and had about 100 head of cattle. There was no money to be made in the cattle business, however. One year, we sent a carload of cattle to California to be sold. After paying the freight and yardage, they only made us $13.67 a piece for big three-year old steers. We got a Federal Land Bank Loan on our place that gave us smaller payments to make at a lower rate of interest that was streteched out for a period of thirty-two years, but we finally paid it off on the twenty-ninth year, and as of then, the property was in the clear."

"My brother Vern went on a mission to Germany, and I took care of the business along with tmy father, and we supported him on his mission. We got a few sheep along with the cattle, and they were making us much more money than the cattle did, which enabled us to keep going and help Vern on his mission."

"When my brother Vern got married, we decided to divide the property. Vern took one-third of the propberty and assumed one-third of the obligations. I took two-thirds and assumed two-thirds of the obligation. He took the Snake Creek farm that is cultivated ground and the Bunnel pasture and wire grass pasture. I took the Buehler farm and the Bunnel ground across the road from it, and the range ground, including the fats and Bonner Hollow ground, and two-thirds of the range permit which when was about seventy-five head of cattle."

"By this time, I was living in my present home that was built by my brother, father and myself from the pot rock that was quarried near it."

Probst Home in Midway, Utah, with Pot-Rock Construction circa 1950

"When World War II broke out, Bernard was married and was called to the Army, and I had the responsibility of looking after his cattle and farm, which was leased to him from my brother Vern; and Eugen was called into the Navy. Some years later, I sold the farm to Bernard and Eugene. Bernard too the Snake Creek land, and Eugen took the Buehler property."

No comments:

Post a Comment