Thursday, December 18, 2008

Old Midway Grade School

Memories of the Old School as told by Glen W. Probst:

Cree's handwriting reads: "Here is where Dad & I met, I was teaching 6th grade. He came home from World War I. He taught here for 22 years. I taught here 2 years. All the family went to school here."

This is the old Midway Grade School. I went from first to eighth grade here. Clarence "Click" Probst (Dad's first cousin) was the principal. I have very fond memories of this period of time. Mr. Probst taught us all the old songs (many were current at the time). My favorite activity was to play marbles at recess. I could go to school with only two marbles and bring home over a hundred. I won a prize in the district marble contest one year--probably 1949 in the 8th grade.

In her history Mom records that she started teaching school for $50 dollars a month. Later, they raised it to $60/month.

No comments:

Post a Comment