Saturday, December 20, 2008

Ulrich Probst Home

This is the old log cabin up Snake Creek where Karl L. Probst was born June 7, 1895. It was called the Ulrich Probst home and had a dirt floor. On the back of the photo is this information by Mary Huber Probst:" Old home built in Snake Creek by Grandpa Probst (Jacob's dad Ulrich) about 1878. The family moved up to the ranch every summer for about 10-12 years. As boys and girls, we used to have good times together. John (Marguerite and Matilda's dad) and I used to wile away our time under the quaking aspen trees––reading and playing cards and croquet. Papa (Ulrich) bought the farm in 1891 before he went on a mission (to Switzerland), and when he came back, we (Mary and Jacob) lived for two summers in the log house. Karl (Probst) was born here in 1895. Many fond memories and good times around the old place."

On another photo is found this information written by Jacob Probst: "First house lived in after marriage, the summer of 1894, old homestead built 1878 by my father (Ulrich), I at that time being 14 years old. I helped in building the house the same year Brother John Huber built his house in Snake Creek (later known as Uncle Joe's Cabin). I spent some of the happiest and some of the most sorrowful moments of my life in this old log house. My only sister Emma E. Probst died in this house, 24th day of August, 1884, being eight years old at her death. Our first baby, Karl, was born here in 1895. My father (Ulrich) and family lived here during the summers for 12 years."

The family pictured may be Jacob Probst's family, but the picture could be older than that. If that is the case, it would be Ulrich's family.

2 comments:

  1. Yesterday I was filling out a family tree poster we have hanging in our laundry room and I wrote down Ulrich Probst as my great-great grandfather, Ulrich Probst. Not knowing much about the Probst line (my grandpa John Probst died in 1981 when I was 3 and my grandma didn't ever like to talk about him) I decided to google his name today on a whim and your blog came up. I'm pretty sure we're related because our Probst line has its Utah roots in Midway, Ut. I am interested in finding out more about the family--my husband and I take our daughters up to Midway for a ride every year to find out what we can about the Probst/Watkins families. Last year we drove to the Probst farms (where the jam originates) and found no one there to talk to. If the Ulrich cabin still exists, I would love to know where so I can see it--or any other historical sites. Also if there are any living descendants who knew John Probst, Edward August Probst, or Ulrich Probst I would love to talk with them. Any information you have would be greatly appreciated. My e-mail is amyalvord@mail.weber.edu. Thanks for posting this blog. I hope it leads to opportunities to fill in the family history gaps. Amy Knowles Alvord (daughter of Karen Probst Knowles, daughter of John Edward Probst, son of Edward August Probst, son of Ulrich Probst)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,

    I will have my dad, Glen Probst, email you! He's got additional info regarding historical sites in Midway. This is wonderful that we are able to connect with family I'm glad you found us!

    Good luck with your family history research.
    Charmain

    ReplyDelete