Thursday, January 15, 2009

Karl & Cree's Courtship

Karl & Cree Probst
Picture most likely taken during their courtship in Midway, Utah somewhere between 1919-1920.

They were married in the Salt lake Temple on
June 23, 1920

From Cree's history: (They met at the old Midway School House.) "At that time, a high school graduate could teach school following twelve weeks of summer school. I had a money problem, so my father went with me to the bank where we borrowed fifty dollars, which seemed like a huge sum to me then, and I left for summer school with my best girl friend, Lois Blake. While I was at the Brigham Young University, D. A. Broadbent, Superintendent of schools, came to the school hunting teachers. I signed with him to teach in Wasatch County for $50.00 per month. Having never been on a salary before, this seemed like a lot of money to me. Teachers' wages were very low at that time, most of them being under $100.00 for experienced teachers. When I signed up, Superintendent Broadbent said, 'You know, the best part of it is that we always keep our teachers. They marry and stay here.' I didn't say anything, but thought to myself, 'Well, here's one you won't keep.' I had a steady fellow at the time."

"I loved teaching and had a very good group of students. They were constantly telling me about the teacher they had had the year before. His name was Karl L. Probst. From what they told me, I decided he was a queer (Note: In those days this word meant "weird.") He was in the Army in Texas."

"The Armistice had been signed in November, and after Christmas, the boys began coming home."

"About this time, Karl Probst came home also. Naturally, one of the first places he visited was the school where he had taught before I did. Mr. Sorenson, the principal, introduced us. We began going together, and just before school was out in the Spring, we became engaged. He gave me my diamond up snake Creek under one of the apple trees. It was a beautiful night with blossoms everywhere. We decided to wait until a year from that June to get married. I had signed up to teach in Midway again, and Karl had signed up to teach in Oakley, Summit County, Utah.

"I came back in the fall to teach again. This year, I got $60.00. Karl came down from Oakley to see me as often as he could. In the winter, he often had to come on horseback. Flu broke out again that winter, but not as bad as before. For awhile the place was quarantined, and no one could go out or come in except in an emergency. I worked on my trousseau, and the school year passed. I went home and made my own wedding dress and some quilts. I washed the wool and carded it into batts. Mother and Mabel (sister) helped me with the quilting. We were married in the Salt lake Temple on June 23, 1920. My father and mother came up from Hinckley, also Lois Blake, my best friend, came for the reception, which was held at Karl's home. His father was Bishop of the ward. Karl had signed up to be principal of the school in Oakley again, so we lived there (Midway) with his folks for the rest of the summer. In September, we left for Oakley where we had a home by ourselves. The people there were very good to me, and I appreciated it. I had two wonderful neighbors. The house we lived in was so cold that I called it 'Valley Forge.'"

From Karl's history: "The war (WWI) ended November 11, 1918. I was discharged at Ft. Logan, Colorado, the latter part of February, 1919. They gave me $50.00 and a pair of shoes. On my arrival home, the first thing I did was to go over to the Midway School in my soldier's uniform. While I was talking with the principal, Mr. Sorensen, in the eighth grade room, a young lady by the name of Miss Wright came in the room, and he introduced her to me, and that was the first time I met the girl who later became my wife. During the remainder of the winter, we had sleigh riding parties and programs, and I started to date Miss Wright. In early spring of 1919, we became engaged."

"That fall, I went to Oakley and taught school and was principal. I organized a band of about twenty Oakley boys. They progressed very rapidly, and it wasn't very long until we were playing on programs. Occasionally, during the winter on weekends, I would go to Midway to court Miss Wright and see my folks. Sometimes, I would go down riding horseback and sometimes I would go down with a very fancy trotter outfit that was loaned to me by Mr. Jensen."

"One time I came to Midway, and didn't know it but the town was quarantined for the Flu. The roads leading to Midway from Charleston and Heber were blockaded, but I came by way of the River Road and stopped at my girl's place before going home, and she told me the town was quarantined for the Flu, so I made my visits short that time, and sneaked out Sunday afternoon unknown to anyone and returned to Oakley."

More Info provided by Glen W. Probst:

Karl was about 25 years old when he married. He had just returned home from the Army in 1919 (WWI ended in 1918).

Cree was bout 22, she was three years younger than Karl.

They courted (dated) for over a year and were Married in the Salt Lake Temple. They lived in Midway, Utah.

Cree's family was from Hinckley, Utah, having moved there from Duncan's Retreat down by St. George.

Karl would ride his horse from Oakley, near Kamas, to Midway in order to date Mom. That's a distance of about 20-25 miles. During the quarantine times Karl entered quietly from the old river road to see Cree.

No comments:

Post a Comment