Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Piano


Cree Probst in her flowers in Midway, Utah.
She authored and published many poems and short stories.


The Piano
by Cree Probst ©1985
The poem refers to Beatrice and Madelyn and Marilyn (the twins).

Today they took the piano
It was out of tune and old.
The ivory keys were brown with age
'Twas worthless I'd been told.

So many years I had varnished
And polished and dusted its wood.
Now it was old and useless
I needed the space where it stood.

Today they came and took it
And as I watched it go
Fond memories came racing back
Of the lovely long ago.

A cunning little six-year-old
Had begged us every day
To "please buy a piano,"
So she could learn to play.

And long before her daddy
Could find the cash to spare,
She thumped out tunes of make-believe
on a table or a chair.

I saw the stars shine in her eyes
The day her dream came true.
I saw a talent come to life--
Her love for music grew.

I saw her grow from year to year
And, oh, how she could play!
How time goes by--my little girl
Grew up and went away.

I dusted the old piano,
And even it seemed sad
Until two little brown-eyed twins
Began to make it glad.

They played and played--the music seemed
to brighten every day;
But as before these little girls
Grew up and went away.

For years it stood forlorn and still
Grown old and out of date.
On top were pictures of the girls
Who'd brought it to this state.

Today they came and took it
And as it went I knew
The piano didn't go alone
For a piece of my heart went, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment